Beginning of the main content.
Determined to listen to our passengers following the unveiling of VIA Rail’s new baggage policy, we are gathering and analyzing their feedback to assess if and how we could better meet the baggage needs of our passengers.
In the meantime, to ensure a smooth transition for our passengers, we are waiving the fees outlined in each baggage allowance on all routes and for a limited time.
Before traveling, please read our baggage policy carefully, as it contains important information about carry-on baggage, checked baggage and special items.
Learn more about the size, weight or number of baggage you can bring, and find out what items are allowed on board or not. Here's all you need to know to prepare your trip.
Please note that your baggage allowance will be specific to the fare type you have selected.
- Should you exceed the authorized baggage allowance (in number, size and/or weight), or if you have not prepaid for the additional item included in your allowance (if applicable), VIA Rail cannot guarantee boarding of all items, as space is subject to availability.
- Each baggage item must be identified with your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- Maximum baggage dimensions include wheels and handles.
- Any baggage weighing more than 23 kg/50 lb will not be allowed on board.
- Each passenger is responsible for their own baggage. Please only bring baggage that you can carry and store under the seat in front of you or on the overhead shelf unassisted.
- For security reasons, checked baggage is not allowed on board without its owner.
Have questions or need assistance?
We are here to help! Contact our Customer Center at 1-888-VIA-RAIL (1-888-842-7245) or at TTY 1-800-268-9503 (persons who are deaf or hard-of-hearing).
bottom bagages pourquoi via
Why choose VIA Rail?
When you choose VIA Rail, you choose safe, comfortable, and environmentally friendly transportation. Find out how we are committed to enhancing your travel experience.