Beginning of the main content.
Important notice: the bicycle baggage service is currently suspended in the Corridor until further notice.
1. How can I pack my luggage and identify it properly?
Remember to identify each of your pieces of baggage by attaching a tag with your name, home address, phone number and email address.
Make sur to remove or store hooks, hangers, straps and sharp objects to avoid damaging other travelers' luggage. Do not attach items to backpacks.
All items must be transported in their original box or in a rigid container providing adequate protection. Boxes must be attached with a rope allowing them to be handled and to attach a luggage tag.
2. What is a personal article?
Articles such as laptops and small backpacks are considered as personal articles.
3. What is a carry-on bag?
A carry-on bag is an article that you can bring on board that must be stored under the seat in front of you or above your seat in a bin or on a luggage rack.
Please note that purses are not considered as baggage, nor are baby strollers measuring no more than 25.5 cm (10 in.) in diameter and 92 cm (36 in.) in length when folded.
4. How can I make sure my carry-on bags are within limits?
We invite passengers to read our carry-on baggage policy before your departure to ensure that all your baggage conforms to our new policy.
Please note that some stations are equipped with scales and baggage sizers. Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask one of our agents for assistance.
5. How can I find out my baggage allowance?
a. If you book your trip online, at time of booking:
- Go to the VIA booking engine page.
- Enter your departure and arrival stations.
- Enter your travel dates.
- Click on the “Search” button.
A list of proposed itineraries will appear. Choose your desired departure.
- Information on baggage allowance for your trip will be provided at the “Review” stage during the booking process.
- Also, your baggage allowance for your trip will be indicated at the time of booking on your itinerary confirmation.
Or visit our pages:
- Carry-on baggage: to learn more about the carry-on baggage allowance list and applicable fees
- Checked baggage: to learn more about checked baggage, non-standard items that can be checked and applicable fees
b. If you book your trip by phone or at a station ticket counter:
The information will be found on the booking confirmation, which you will receive by e-mail once the booking process has been completed.
The VIA Agent will be able to inform you of your allowance for your trip.
6. What is my baggage allowance if I am also travelling with a VIA partner?
Travellers are responsible for making sure their baggage conforms to VIA Rail policy. Furthermore, they must ensure that their baggage also conforms to the policies of any other carriers taken during a trip. Please note that these may differ from those of VIA Rail.
7. What if I have unanswered questions about VIA Rail’s baggage policy?
Several resources are at your disposal! In addition to our website, our agents at VIA Rail stations will gladly answer any questions. You can also call 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) for more information.
8. Are the following items allowed as carry-on bags?
Hockey Bags - Only hockey bags that meet our weight and size restrictions will be permitted on board. Most hockey bags go well beyond our maximum dimension limit of 158 cm linear (62 linear). Some junior hockey bags meet this limit. If in doubt, use the baggage calibrator and the mobile scale to determine the size and weight.
Golf bags/Skis/ Snowboards/ – Yes, these articles are considered part of your baggage allowance and counts for 1 item.
9. Do we grant the same baggage allowance to children and babies? Will a carry-on bag, stroller and other items for a child be exempted from the hand baggage allowance?
A baby (up to age 2) without an assigned seat (sitting on their parent’s lap) is only entitled to the carry-on baggage allowance, while a child with a seat is entitled to the checked baggage allowance.
Checked baggage includes suitcases, backpacks, sports equipment (golf bags, skis, etc.), musical instruments, and strollers that exceed size and weight restrictions for carry-on baggage when folded.
10. Is a pillow carried in the client's arms considered a piece of hand luggage?
No. A pillow carried in the client's arms will not be deducted from his hand baggage allowance. This also applies to clothing (eg jacket, coat, etc.), or to a blanket.
11. Is a backpack considered as a personal item or as a piece of luggage?
Small backpacks are considered a personal item. Backpacks exceeding dimensions 43 × 15 × 33 cm (17 × 6 × 13 in) are considered to be a luggage.
12. How will the policy be applied to customers traveling on trains 97 and 98 (Amtrak trains)?
Customers crossing the Canada-US border on train 97 or 98 will be subject to Amtrak's hand baggage policy
(2 pieces of hand baggage not exceeding 23 kg [50 lb] and 71 x 56 x 36 cm [28 x 22 x 14 in]). Customers traveling within Canada are subject to VIA Rail's hand baggage policy.
13. Will there be blackout dates during peak holiday periods (eg, Christmas)?
No. We invite passengers who wish to travel with more items than allowed by our hand baggage policy to use the trains offering our baggage car service.
Please note that baggage must be checked at least 45 minutes before departure at terminal stations and 30 minutes at intermediate stations.