Beginning of the main content.
Missing, lost or damaged baggage liability h1>
Missing, lost or damaged baggage liability
Lost and found items
You lost a baggage item? Contact our Lost and found department at 1-888-VIA-RAIL (1-888-842-7245) or TTY 1-800-268-9503 (for persons who are deaf or hard-of-hearing).
If you are missing a registered baggage or have forgotten a carry-on baggage on board, please report yourself to the baggage checking room or ticket counter, immediately upon arrival at the station to notify our personnel.
VIA Rail will not be held liable for any carry-on baggage, including special items, that are lost, damaged, or delayed during carriage. It is the responsibility of each passenger to monitor their carry-on baggage.
VIA Rail is not liable for any death, injury, delay, loss, or other damage whatsoever to passengers or carry‑on baggage, including special items, arising out of or in connection with carriage or other services performed by VIA Rail, unless such damage is caused by VIA Rail’s negligence.
Under no circumstances will VIA Rail be liable for the loss of or delay or damage to carry-on baggage not attributed to its negligence.
VIA Rail will take reasonable measures to ensure that all baggage is carried safely and in a timely fashion to the passenger’s destination. While we make every attempt to ensure your baggage is handled with care, please note that we are not responsible for cosmetic damage.
VIA Rail’s liability is limited to personal checked baggage only, such as clothing, personal effects and other items packed for the passenger’s comfort and well-being. It also applies to articles other than personal baggage that can be carried in the baggage car.
Please note that VIA Rail disclaims all liability for:
- Damage due to poor packaging;
- Exterior damage to the protective case or covering;
- Damaged items inside any piece of baggage if there is no sign of damage to the exterior;
- Minor scratches, nicks, marks or dirt considered normal wear and tear, which may occur despite all necessary care taken during handling;
- Loss or damage to prohibited baggage items, items packed with prohibited items and baggage containing prohibited items;
- Theft, if the baggage was not locked or the box was not closed and sealed with adhesive tape.
- It is the passenger's responsability to ensure that their belongings are securely packed and well protected. Passengers must place their items in their original box or in a rigid container providing them with adequate protection. A simple plastic or paper bag is not enough.
- Perishable goods such as food and beverages must be transported in airtight containers secured with adhesive tape (only rigid plastic or metal coolers are accepted; styrofoam coolers are not) and must be claimed immediately upon arrival (no checkroom service).
- Passengers can buy protective boxes and bags at the main stations (Quebec City, Montreal, Dorval, Kingston, Ottawa, Toronto, London and Windsor).
- When placing their belongings in a box, passengers should tie it with a rope, which can be used as a handle and to hang the baggage tag.
- Any passenger whose property has caused damage to another passenger’s baggage or to VIA Rail’s property shall indemnify VIA Rail for all losses and expenses incurred.
- VIA Rail reserves the right to check all baggage to ensure the safety of passengers.
Claims for damaged, lost or stolen baggage must be reported to a VIA Rail agent at the location where the baggage is claimed before the passenger leaves the station. A detailed declaration of the contents of the baggage and their value must be filed with the agent.
Upon provision of receipts or other proof of value, VIA Rail may compensate a passenger for lost, damaged or stolen baggage, up to a maximum of $750 per baggage per adult traveler and $375 per baggage per child traveler*.
Items left at a station's checkroom
VIA Rail may indemnify a passenger for loss, damage or theft of items left in the checkroom at the station up to a maximum of $100 per item*.
* Please note that compensation fees are subject to change without notice.
It is the passenger's responsibility to notify VIA Rail as quickly as possible for any damaged baggage.
Please note that VIA Rail will decline any compensation if you fail to comply with the requirements outlined in this section.
- The passenger must submit a claim for damaged baggage before leaving the station.
- The passenger must report the damage to a VIA Rail agent (at the baggage counter) and fill out the relevant form.
After leaving the station:
In the event that the passenger had not noticed that their baggage was damaged while they were at the station, they must report the damage no later than seven (7) days after the date they returned from their trip.
- We recommend you return to the station with your damaged baggage, your tickets and your baggage tags for VIA Rail to assess the damage.
- Once the damage assessment form has been completed, you may go to a J.P. Grimard workshop to have your baggage repaired.
The claim must be submitted in writing within 60 days of the date the passenger returned from their trip, and it must include the following:
- The original damage assessment form ;
- A copy of the boarding pass ;
- Several photos of the baggage with the damages ;
- Proof of purchase (may be required).
If you have already filled out an incident report at the station and you have a file number, you may bring your baggage to an authorized workshop. The repair person will bill VIA Rail directly.
Report of loss or damage to baggage
Download our Report of loss or damage to baggage. It is strongly recommended to fill it out at the station with the help of a VIA Rail agent.
Authorized baggage repair workshops*
J.P. GRIMARD - Headquarters
177 Beaubien Street East
Montréal, Quebec H2S 1R3
Toll free: 1-800-567-9303
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday and Friday: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
J.P. GRIMARD - Laval branch
3232 Saint Martin Blvd. West
Laval, Quebec H7T 1A1
Email address: email@example.com
Monday to Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday and Friday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* You may have your baggage repaired at the workshop of your choice based solely on the assessment carried out by VIA Rail at the station. Please note that VIA Rail is not liable for damage caused to baggage that is too heavy or not properly packed, nor is it liable for normal wear and tear.