Beginning of the main content.
More deals just for you
You can make plans ahead of time and book on Tuesdays to save on your tickets (just use discount code TUESDAY). Sign up to stay tuned for weekly offers coming your way.
CAA members can save up to 20% on all of our destinations. Visit the CAA members offers page for more information.
Save on your tickets when you book in advance. Please note that discounted tickets are sold on a "first come first served" basis and that only a limited number of discounted seats are sold on each train.
Our compassionate fares are valid on all VIA Rail trains system-wide. Tickets at bereavement fare will be honored on any day of the week and no blackout periods apply. This fare is valid in Economy and Sleeper classes. Not valid in Prestige, Escape or Business class.
- Bereavement fares cannot be booked online.
- Valid for tickets purchased until November 18, 2023.
- Intended for immediate family members of a deceased person who are travelling to/from a funeral. Immediate family members are: the deceased’s spouse or common-law spouse, parents, stepparents, grandparents, great grandparents, children, stepchildren, grandchildren, great grandchildren, brothers, stepbrothers, brothers-in-law, sisters, stepsisters, sisters-in-law; fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law or a spouse of one of the above. Uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces and cousins do not qualify.
The following must be provided:
- Death certificate or funeral notices.
- Name, phone, address of the funeral home and burial date.
- Name of the deceased and relationship to passenger.
- If the information is not available prior to departure, the passenger must pay the regular fare on the going portion, and for the return present the regular fare ticket receipt with a death certificate or a funeral notice. VIA Rail will then apply the discounts for both legs of the trip and issue a ticket in exchange.
- Alternatively, the customer may be refunded the difference at a station by presenting the receipt and a proof of death or funeral.
- Travellers requiring the bereavement fare will receive an additional 10% discount on the best available fare at reservation time on Business and Sleeper Plus fares.
- Cannot be combined with any other discount or promotional rate that requires a discount code.
- VIA Rail’s bereavement fare is valid on all trains system-wide, and is subject to all conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional 10% discount is being applied to.
This fare does not apply to delayed interment (people who pass away during the winter and are buried in the spring). The purpose of this fare is to help people who must quickly go to a funeral and cannot take advantage of our discounted fares with advance purchase requirements.