Beginning of the main content.
Terms & Conditions
Virtual gift cards h2 >
Terms & Conditions – Virtual gift cards (the “Terms & Conditions”)
Please note that we no longer offer physical gift cards; only virtual gift cards are now available for purchase.
Virtual gift cards are transferable but cannot be resold. They are not refundable or redeemable for cash.
Any virtual gift card can be used as full or partial payment for a new train reservation, including the following:
- Additional products and services offered by VIA Rail;
- Transportation fees;
- Change or cancellation fees;
- Travel passes;
- VIA Boutique items sold in station;
- Additional baggage allowance;
- Seat selection fees;
- Travelling with a pet on board fees;
- Unaccompanied minors service fees;
- Taxes or other similar charges.
Virtual gift cards cannot be used on a previous booking or to pay for products onboard our trains. Furthermore, they cannot be exchanged for cash.
If your fare price is lower than the total value of your virtual gift card, its remaining balance will be held until it reaches zero. Once your virtual gift card balance reaches zero, it will be deactivated and can no longer be used. If your fare price is higher than the total value of your virtual gift card, the balance of the card will be reduced to zero, and the remaining balance will have to be paid with a second gift card or another accepted payment method (you may use to a maximum of two different payment methods).
Payment with a virtual gift card will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has been deactivated, declined or does not exist in our system.
You will be able to verify the balance of your virtual gift card online or by phone at 1-888-VIA-RAIL (1-888-842-7245) or TTY 1-800-268-9503 (for persons who are deaf or hard-of-hearing). Simply enter or confirm the serial number of the gift card. Please note that it may take up to 60 seconds or more to download the web page that allows you to access your gift card balance.
If a train ticket or service paid for in whole or in part with a virtual gift card needs to be refunded, the amount equal to the purchase value will be credited to a new gift card, less the applicable refund/exchange fees. You will then receive a new virtual gift card number by email. You must keep the original gift card until its balance reaches zero.
Your virtual gift card should be viewed as cash. VIA Rail is not responsible for the balance on the gift card if it is lost, stolen, or used in an unauthorized manner. If the card is lost, stolen, or used without authorization, its value will not be refunded. The gift card holder assumes all risk of loss or theft once their order has been processed. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service team at 1-888-VIA-RAIL (1-888-842-7245) or TTY 1-800-268-9503 (for persons who are deaf or hard-of-hearing).
These Terms & Conditions are regulated by the provincial and federal laws in place in the province of Québec. Any dispute related to virtual gift cards must be settled in the province of Québec (Canada), and both the purchaser and the holder of the virtual gift card must acknowledge the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the Québec courts.
- Virtual gift cards are not credit/debit cards, and they do not have an expiration date. The balance on the card can be used at any time.
- There is no fee for activating or using a virtual gift card, nor for dormancy or unused gift cards.
- VIA Rail reserves the right to decline, suspend, hold for review, or cancel any virtual gift card order if there is any suspicion of fraud or violation of these Terms & Conditions.
- VIA Rail reserves the right to disable or decline any virtual gift card that is directly or indirectly related to a fraudulent action.
- A valid email address is required at the time of purchase of a virtual gift card. All communication from VIA Rail to the purchaser or holder of a virtual gift card will be by email only.
- VIA Rail reserves the right to modify these Terms & Conditions at any time. VIA Rail will notify the gift card holder or purchaser of any such changes by posting an updated version of the Terms & Conditions on its website.
- It is the gift card holder or purchaser's responsibility to review these Terms & Conditions regularly. If a gift card is used after these Terms & Conditions have been amended, it means that you have accepted the changes and agree to be bound by the amended Terms & Conditions.