Prices change due to seat availability and demand. The cheaper booking classes might be sold out even if there’s still 3 months before you leave.
There are some periods of the year when demand is simply higher. If a lot of people have to travel somewhere at the same time (and especially when they want to go to the same destination or area), prices will rise. Christmas and Thanksgiving are good examples of busy times.
Transportation companies (train, airlines, etc.) use sophisticated computer programs that are constantly monitoring trips, in order to analyze booking patterns and evaluate the changing number of seats available.
Generally over time, fares on a particular train will rise as more seats are booked and more fare levels are closed.
Yes, indeed. Even during the same day, prices are dynamic and can vary widely by train
Book early! It’s always a good idea to get your tickets ahead of time—you’ll have more departure options and a better chance of finding low fares.
There is no set fare for a particular destination or route. Fares vary depending on :
- The class selected (class of service)
- Competition on the routes
- Type of passenger
- Destination and point of departure
- Day of week and time of the day
- The date of booking: in most cases, the earlier you book the cheaper the ticket!
- The date and time of travel: by travelling during quieter periods (normal periods) rather than busy ones (peak periods), you are more likely to find cheap tickets
- Seat demand
- The services the particular fare offers (fare attributes)
- Flexibility of ticket selected (ease of change, refund policy, baggage etc.)
With our promotional prices, we sometimes offer special rates for trips that fall within specific parameters such as certain days, routes or destinations.
Yes, we have recurring offers, such Discount Tuesday and sales and promotions throughout the year such as Black Friday.
We offer discounts for members of Indigenous communities and military personnel, and groups of 10 or more are entitled to a special discount on our regular fare all year round on most routes.