Beginning of the main content.Next tab will go to the map. Use this link to skip the station map.
New reservation system
Introducing our new reservation system h2 >
An enhanced travel experience, from booking to arrival at destination
- Flexible: book, modify and manage your trips autonomously. Easy upgrades? You bet!
- Simplified: enjoy a stress-free booking process with an intuitive and accessible interface.
- Convenient: get quick access to your profile and all your travel information (including your VIA Préférence points balance).
A reservation system designed for your current and future travel needs
A new intuitive interface
Our goal is to make trip planning as simple as possible for everyone, with features such as:
- Online trip modifications at your fingertips;
- Calendar view of our lowest fares;
- Simplified interface for passengers with specific needs and accessibility requests;
- Saving your boarding pass to the Wallet app on your mobile;
- Virtual gift cards;
- And much more!
More options for tailored journeys
Because no one trip is the same, enjoy new travel options to book the trip that's right for you.
Whether it's for business or pleasure, if you're on a student budget or want to treat yourself to a great meal, we have the right train ticket for you!
Seat selection is (finally!) available in the Corridor
Want to let your imagination run free with a window view? Or prefer the aisle seat? No problem!
Enhance your trip by booking your favorite seat in advance. You can now easily view the seating plan online and change your assigned seat during or after your booking.
Complimentary seat selection will be available for all fare options for a limited time.
A transformed VIA Préférence loyalty program
With exciting new features and new ways to earn points and redeem them sooner, VIA Préférence gives its members more value and flexibility than ever!
Frequenly Asked Questions
Here are some answers to most frequently asked questions on our reservation system.
As part of our modernization program, we are looking at new ways to improve our customer experience. The new system is designed to evolve over time so that we can stay aligned with the changing needs of our passengers.
The new reservation system offers an easy and intuitive booking process through a wide range of new functionalities and provides a more convenient, accessible, and autonomous travel experience. This includes autonomous seat selection in the Corridor and autonomous booking modifications and upgrades, with some exceptions.
The interface is designed to give passengers a more flexible, convenient, and accessible experience when booking their trip.
New functionalities include:
- Autonomous seat selection in the Corridor;
- Autonomous booking modifications and upgrades (with some exceptions);
- Calendar view of the lowest fare search;
- Increased autonomy and simplified process to book online for a wider variety of needs (specific needs, pets, service animals);
- Functionality to prepay online for some services in the Corridor such as travel with pets;
- Ability to save your boarding pass on all smartphone wallet apps (Apple and Android);
- Fully user-friendly experience on all devices, including cellphones;
- Better explanation of each class features;
- Ability to purchase virtual gift cards.
With the new reservation system, travel documents continue to be available via email. In addition, offering a more convenient experience, the new system is compatible with all smartphone wallet applications (Android and Apple).
Yes, tickets purchased prior to the launch of the new system are valid.
As part of VIA Rail’s transformation, including the need to better align our policies with industry standards, we are rethinking various aspects of the customer journey such as our redesigned VIA Préférence program or the implementation of a new baggage policy.
Our new baggage policy will offer, depending on the selected fare, different options in terms of baggage size, number of allowed bags and additional items.
For more information on the new baggage policy, please visit our Train baggage allowance page.
While items part of the basic allowance do not need to be declared, any additional or special item you are entitled to, need to be declared even if fees will be waived.
In order to redeem your VIA Preference points, you must have enough points to match the full price of the item.
As part of VIA Rail’s modernization, we will be enhancing our VIA Rail App which was launched in 2015 and we need as a result to temporarily deactivate it while we redesign it.
In the meantime, you can book tickets on the VIA Rail website which offers an easy and intuitive booking process with, for example, a fully user-friendly experience on all devices, including cellphones, and the ability to save your boarding pass on all smartphone wallet apps (Apple and Android).
Tickets can be booked on VIA Rail’s website which offers a fully user-friendly experience on all devices (including cellphones) and at ticket counters at our staffed stations.
Travel documents will be sent via email and passengers will also be able to add their tickets from VIA Rail’s website to all smartphone wallet applications (Apple and Android).
There are several ways to access your boarding pass:
- The boarding pass email sent after the completion of your booking can be used as a boarding pass;
- Through VIA Rail’s website in the “Travels” section of your VIA Rail profile;
- Through your smartphone wallet applications (if you added your tickets from VIA Rail’s website).
All passengers who provided an email address during the booking process receive automatic email alerts related to their trip.
Otherwise, you can subscribe to the train-alert service (for both email and text alerts) and view the Arrivals and departures schedule.
You can also follow your train in real time.
One of the new features of the new reservation system is the autonomous seat selection in the Corridor which will offer more flexibility and convenience when booking a trip.
This functionality will be free for a limited period of time, and after that period, the availability and associated fee of this new functionality will depend on the passenger’s selected fare.
We are determined to be Canada’s most accessible national and intercity mode of transportation, which is why we have taken important actions over the previous years to create an environment in which all people can travel autonomously and confidently.
The new reservation system offers features that include a more accessible interface and the possibility for most passengers with disabilities to book autonomously.
VIA Rail’s new reservation system offers a more accessible interface and the possibility for most passengers with disabilities to book autonomously.
Here are the steps to follow to book a train ticket online in an accessible way:
- First, when booking online, you must specify that you have a disability at the beginning of the reservation process by checking the box: This booking includes a passenger with a specific needs request (maximum of two with an online booking).
- Secondly, you will have to select how many passengers have a specific need, require assistance or have an accessibility request. This interactive request will guide you step by step and give you only adapted and appropriate train options.
- You will then be able to select your specific needs in the following categories:
- Person who is blind or has vision loss;
- Person who is deaf or has hearing loss;
- Person with reduced mobility;
- Person with a cognitive disability or mental health condition;
- Person with other needs not listed here (i.e., allergies and respiratory problems).
- You will then be able to specify whether or not you are travelling with a trained and certified guide or service dog or an emotional support dog.
- At the end of the reservation process, after selecting your train and the fare you wish to proceed with, you must complete a form with your personal information.
- Once the booking is complete, you will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours.
- A VIA Rail agent might call you for further information regarding your booking.
Yes, at launch passengers with two or more disabilities booking their first trip with the new system will need to contact us at 1-888-VIA-RAIL (1-888-842-7245), or TTY 1-800-268-9503 (for persons who are deaf or hard-of-hearing).
Your information will be added to your file, and you will then be able to book your subsequent trips autonomously.