Beginning of the main content.
On board policies
We help you understand the way things are on board: will you be able to buy an alcoholic drink? Are you going to be bothered by the smoke? Here are some answers for you.
Respectful and Safe Environment
VIA Rail is proud to provide its passengers and employees with a respectful and safe environment. The following disrespectful or unsafe behaviour will not be tolerated on board VIA Rail trains and in stations:
- Endangering the safety of others or the safe operation of a train
- Verbal or physical abuse
- Threat, harassment or intimidating behaviour
- Intoxication and/or disorderly conduct
- Consumption or distribution of personal alcoholic beverages or illegal substances such as narcotics
- Disregard of smoking regulations
- Carrying a weapon or a false declaration that you or any other person is carrying a weapon
In case of disrespectful or unsafe behaviour, transportation may be refused. Police may also be asked to intervene and offenders may be prosecuted.
Note that due to COVID-19, we have made changes to our on-board services and implemented preventive health measures that we continue to adapt to deal with the pandemic and meet your needs.
- On the corridor trains (Québec City-Windsor), drinks are offered between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- On the Ocean Trains to Halifax on Day 1 from departure and Day 2 from 10am (11AM) until 11pm.
- On the Ocean trains to Montreal on day 1 from departure from until 10:30 p.m. (11:30 p.m. HA).
- On the Canadian and Winnipeg-Churchill trains in Sleeper Plus class from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. in Economy class.
- On the Jasper-Prince-Ruppert trains
VIA Rail offers its travelers a smoke-free environment in all of its trains - as well as in all of its stations.
Please note that the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on board all trains and inside stations and other VIA Rail Canada establishments.
To find out if you can smoke during stops, please refer to your link below:
Application of the regulation on tobacco use
- Quebec-Windsor Corridor Trains
- Smoking is prohibited during stops at stations.
- Montreal-Halifax (the Ocean
- Stops for smokers include Ste-Foy, Campbellton and Moncton.
- Toronto-Vancouver (the Canadian)
- You can get off the train and smoke during stops at Capreol, Hornepayne, Sioux Lookout, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and Kamloops stations.
- Those who wish can smoke during stops at The Pas, Thompson and Gillam stations.
- VIA staff are legally bound to enforce the smoking policy. Before getting on board, find out about the penalties for offenders.
- The legalization of cannabis (marijuana) in Canada (October 17, 2018) has not changed this policy in any way: our trains, like our stations, remain smoke-free environments.
- Please note that crossing borders with cannabis is illegal: Despite the legalization of cannabis in Canada, be aware that it will remain illegal to cross the Canada-US border in possession of cannabis in any form. Plan your trips accordingly.
- It is your responsibility to know the cannabis laws where you are traveling, as the laws may vary from province and territory to another: We stress that it is the passenger's responsibility to understand and follow the regulations. applicable local, provincial and federal regulations regarding the consumption, transportation and possession of cannabis.
- The following Government of Canada links provide useful information on cannabis and travel:
Most travelers seek a calm atmosphere. That is why we ask that you keep a low voice when using a cell phone, radio or other electronic device.
In order not to disturb other travelers, please set your cell phone to vibrate mode and use a headset with any other electronic device.
We thank you for your understanding.