VIA 6 PAK (for youth 12 to 25)
You’re the perfect age to save.
The VIA 6 pak (6 one-way tickets) is a package offered to young people between 12 and 25 (or 26+ with valid ISIC) so they can travel on a budget in the Québec City – Windsor corridor and, now, on board the Ocean between Montréal, Moncton and Halifax.
VIA Rail offers you a choice of two types of VIA 6 pak:
1. The VIA Economy 6 pak offers you savings of up to 50% on the Economy Plus fare for 6 one-way trips (3 round trips) between two pre-determined stations on the VIA Rail network. Availability of seats is limited.
2. The VIA Economy Plus 6 pak allows you to save up to 40% on the Economy Plus fare with the purchase of 6 one-way trips between two pre-determined stations on the VIA network. Pak holders have access to more available seats than the Economy 6 pak.
The new VIA 6 pak for travel on board the Ocean between Montréal, Moncton and Halifax.
Need to get to Halifax for school, to see family or simply to fulfill your dream of seeing the sea? VIA offers you the new VIA 6 pak for travel on board the Ocean:
6 one-way trips, valid for one year, for travel between Montréal and Halifax, between Montréal and Moncton or between Moncton and Halifax. The VIA 6 pak is available at both the Economy Plus and the Economy options.
You no longer have to show an ISIC card to purchase your VIA 6 pak! However, please note that the ISIC card will be accepted for the purchase of a 6 pak by those aged 26 and over (or until your 6 pak credits expire or are used).
Create a profile or update your existing profile to benefit from the youth fare
- In order to ensure that you get the best available youth fares, select “Youth” as the passenger type in the “Passenger Information” section when creating a new profile or editing your existing profile.
- Create a profile or edit your existing profile.
VIA 6 pak conditions
- The VIA 6 pak includes 6 credits. Each credit is exchangeable for a one-way trip in Economy class for travel between two pre-determined stations in the Québec City – Windsor corridor and, on board the Ocean between Montréal, Moncton and Halifax.
- Each 6 pak is valid for travel within one year from the date that you specify when purchasing.
- The number of seats available to Economy 6 pak users and Economy Plus 6 pak users is limited.
- Each 6 pak credit is non-transferable and is only valid for travel by the person in whose name the 6 pak has been issued. Verification is automated and the first and last names of the passenger travelling must match the first and last names given at the time of purchase of the 6 pak.
- At time of purchase and when using your VIA 6 pak, valid proof of age with photo for those 12 to 25 years old is required and must be presented to VIA personnel upon request. A valid ISIC card will be accepted for those 26 years old and older.
A VIA 6 pak is refundable and exchangeable, less a $50 service charge (plus applicable taxes), provided:
- it has not expired;
- no trips have been made using it; and
no tickets booked using it have been cancelled after the applicable train’s scheduled departure.
Once a trip has been made, or a ticket using the VIA 6 pak has been cancelled after the train’s scheduled departure, it becomes completely non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Tickets booked using a VIA 6 pak may be cancelled at any time prior to the scheduled departure of the train. They are credited to the VIA 6 pak for future use within the validity period of the VIA 6 pak. The VIA 6 pak will not be credited for tickets that are cancelled after the scheduled departure of the train. In this case, the credit is forfeited and cannot be used again.
Tickets issued using a VIA 6 pak can be exchanged subject to the following conditions:
- For travel on the same date but on board a different train, tickets must be exchanged prior to the scheduled departure time of the original train and the new ticket must also be booked in the applicable booking fare family class in keeping with the selected 6 pak.
- For travel using an Economy VIA 6 pak on a different date than the original booking, the new ticket must also be booked in the “Economy” fare class. Please note that your initial booking must be cancelled prior to the edeparture time of the train.
- For travel using a Economy Plus VIA 6 pak on a different date than the original booking, the new ticket must also be booked in the “Economy Plus” fare class. Please note that your initial booking must be cancelled prior to the edeparture time of the train.
- Remaining credits (unused) at the expiration date of the 6 pak are non-refundable, non-transferable and non-exchangeable.
- Your 6 pak credits are automatically tracked. No voucher or other document is required for exchange at time of ticket issuance.
- The 6 pak credits cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion. Upgrades to other classes of service are not permitted.
- Other conditions may apply.
How to book online
- Log in to your profile or create one prior to booking.
- Book your one-way or round trip ticket for travel within the valid period and zone of your 6 pak.
- Travel using an Economy Plus 6 pak must be booked in Economy Plus fare. Travel using an Economy 6 pak must be booked in Economy fare.
- On the “Passengers Information” screen, select “Rail pass” as the "Discount Type" and enter the 13-digit serial number of your 6 pak in the "Serial Number" field.
- If your trip meets the conditions of your 6 pak, your trip will be repriced and the applicable number of credits will be deducted from your 6 pak.
How to exchange an existing booking
Login to your profile, access your original booking and then proceed to make the changes for your desired date, train and departure time. Please note that you must still select the appropriate fare family when making changes (either Economy or Economy Plus depending on your 6Pak). You can also cancel online your original booking if you wish. It is recommended that you ensure space in the applicable fare class is available on the desired departure prior to changing your original booking. Any changes or cancellations must be done prior to the departure time of your original booking.
If you have a paper ticket issued by a VIA Rail station, please contact VIA directly at 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) or go to any VIA station to make the changes directly with a VIA agent. Your ticket must be changed prior to the departure time of your original booking.