The Discover Canada Summer Pass
You’re young and want—no, NEED—to travel? Brand new for the summer, the Summer Pass allows unlimited travel in Economy class between July 1, 2014, and August 31, 2014.
The Summer Pass is exclusively for passengers between the ages of 12 and 25, or those 26 and over with an ISIC card.
The Summer Pass comes in two different versions:
Summer Pass Corridor for $499
Travel all you want within the Québec City – Windsor corridor in Economy class.
Summer Pass System for $999
Discover Canada from coast to coast. Unlimited travel anywhere you want across VIA Rail’s network in Economy class.
Buy your Summer Pass at the ticket counter of a VIA Rail station or contact us directly at 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245).
CONDITIONS FOR YOUTH SUMMER PASS
- The Corridor Summer Pass for youth allows for an unlimited number of trips within the Québec City – Windsor corridor.
- The System Summer Pass for youth allows for an unlimited number of trips throughout the VIA Rail network.
CLASS OF SERVICE:
- Corridor and System Summer Pass for youth are valid for travel in Economy class only.
- Corridor and System Summer Pass for youth are valid for trips that begin between July 1 and August 31, 2014.
EXCHANGES & REFUNDS:
Corridor and System Summer Pass for youth are refundable and exchangeable, less a $50 service charge (plus applicable taxes), provided that:
- The pass has not expired.
- No trips have been made using the pass.
- No tickets booked with the pass have been cancelled after the applicable train’s scheduled departure. Once a trip has been made, or a ticket using the Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth has been cancelled after the train’s scheduled departure, the pass becomes completely non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Tickets booked using a Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth may be cancelled at any time prior to the scheduled departure of the train.
Tickets issued using a Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth can be exchanged subject to the following conditions:
- For travel on the same date but on board a different train, tickets must be exchanged prior to the scheduled departure time of the original train booked and the new ticket must also be booked in the applicable booking fare family class in keeping with the Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth (according to which pass was purchased).
- For travel using an Economy class Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth on a different date than the original booking, the new ticket must also be booked in any Economy fare class. Please note that your initial booking must be cancelled prior to the train’s departure time.
- Each trip booked using a Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth is non-transferable and is only valid for travel by the person in whose name the Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth has been issued. Verification is automated and the first and last names of the travelling passenger must match the first and last names given at the time the Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth was purchased.
- At time of purchase and when using your Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth, valid government-issued proof of age identification with photo for those 12 to 25 years old is required and must be presented to VIA personnel upon request. A valid ISIC card will be accepted for those aged 26 years and older.
- Your Corridor or System Summer Pass’ validity is automatically tracked. No voucher or other document is required for exchange at time of ticket issuance or booking.
- Corridor or System Summer Pass credits cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion. Upgrades to other classes of service are not permitted.
- Other conditions may apply.
DUPLICATE, ILLOGICAL OR UNAUTHORIZED BOOKINGS:
The following practices may result in the immediate cancellation of a Corridor or System Summer Pass:
- Duplicate bookings on the same train or on multiple departures for the same date.
- Illogical bookings, such as departing from two different places when it would be impossible to travel on all legs of such trips.
- Use of a Corridor or System Summer Pass for youth when government-issued photo identification does not match the name of the passenger on the ticket.
HOW TO BOOK ONLINE
- Log in to your profile or create one prior to booking.
- Book your one-way or round-trip ticket for travel within the valid period and zone (Québec City – Windsor corridor or VIA System) of your Summer Pass and for the “Youth” passenger type.
- Travel using a Corridor or System Summer Pass may be booked in any Economy class fare.
- On the “Passenger’s Information” screen, select “Rail pass” as the “Discount Type” and enter the 13-digit serial number of your Corridor or System Summer Pass in the “Serial Number” field.
- If your trip meets the conditions of your Corridor or System Summer Pass, your trip will be re-priced at $0.00.
HOW TO CHANGE AN EXISTING BOOKING
- Log in to your profile, access your original booking and then proceed to make the changes for your desired date, train and departure time. You can also cancel your original booking online if you wish. We recommend that you ensure space in Economy class is available on the desired departure prior to changing your original booking. Any changes or cancellations must be done prior to the departure time of your original booking.
- If you have a paper ticket issued by a VIA Rail station, please contact VIA directly at 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) or go to any VIA station to make the changes directly with a VIA agent. Your ticket must be changed prior to the departure time of your original booking.
If you’re between 12 and 25 and travelling for school or fun, VIA Rail has several options to get you where you’re going at a low price. Youth fares are also available for passengers aged 26 and over with an ISIC card.
Discover our Escape fare.
It’s our absolutely lowest fare. Plus, in the Québec City – Windsor corridor, it allows you to take advantage of:
- Cellphone use anytime you like
- Free Wi-Fi access*
- Downtown-to-downtown service**
|Toronto – Montréal||$39†|
|Toronto – Ottawa||$39†|
|Toronto – London||$29†|
|Toronto – Windsor||$39†|
|Toronto – Kingston||$37†|
|Ottawa – Montréal||$29†|
|Ottawa – Québec City||$49†|
|Montréal – Québec City||$29†|
†One-way Escape fare in Economy class. Taxes not included. The number of seats is limited. Fares may vary based on selected day of week and time of departure.
Fares, discounts, conditions and schedules may be modified without notice, and the fares above are for certain departures only.
* Available on most trains.
** In most cases. The Ottawa station is located 6 km away from downtown.
Travel light, travel better.
VIA recently implemented its new carry-on baggage policy. It’s important you make sure your baggage doesn’t exceed size and weight restrictions.
CONDITIONS ESCAPE FARE
Available for certain trains on the following routes:
- Montréal – Québec City
- Ottawa – Montréal
- Toronto – Montréal
- Ottawa – Québec City
- Toronto – Kingston
- Toronto – Ottawa
- Toronto – London
- Toronto – Windsor
- Toronto – Sarnia
REFUNDS AND EXCHANGES:
- Exchangeable with fees of 50% of the fare or minimum of $20 (per direction). Any difference in the fare will also be charged if you book a more expensive fare. The ticket is non-refundable.
- One stop-over is permitted at no extra charge.
- The number of seats is limited.