Canadian Forces Personal Travel Fare
Thank you to the Canadian military! To show our support and gratitude for the men and women that serve our country with dedication, VIA Rail is offering our military across-the-board savings on train travel in Canada.
25% discount on the best available adult, senior, student, youth and child fares in all classes & all trains for qualifying DND members and immediate family!
VIA Rail is offering a 25% discount on the best available fare in all classes (excluding on Express Deals) for one-way or round trip travel on board any VIA Rail train in Canada to qualifying DND members. And the good news is–immediate family members travelling in the same class with you will also receive a 25% discount!
How to buy
How to book online
- Log in to your profile or create one prior to booking.
- Book your one-way or round trip ticket in your preferred class and fare.
- On the “Passenger Information” screen, select "Corporate Rate" as the Discount Type, and enter "12070" as the Discount Code. No serial number is required.
- The price of the ticket will be adjusted automatically if the trip meets all of the conditions of this fare plan.
How to book by telephone or at a VIA station:
Advise the VIA agent that you wish to use discount code “12070” prior to the agent booking your travel.
Conditions of the "25% discount on best available fare" offer for qualifying DND members & family
Offered to Active and Veterans members of Canadian Forces. This reduced fare is not available for civilian personnel, however, these employees may use their Canadian Government Corporate rate.
The offer is valid for any passenger 18 years of age or older who has at least one of the following forms of identification plus, if needed, one additional piece of photo identification:
o DND ID card for National Defence (NDI 20)
o Record of Service Card (NDI 75)
o Any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card (Please contact Veterans Affairs Canada at 613 992-7470 in Ottawa to obtain the required identification to qualify for this offer.)
o Discharge Certificate from any branch of the Canadian Military
o Statement of Service from any branch of the Canadian Military
o Certificate of Service (CF 54 or CF 75) from any branch of the Canadian
o Valid DND Temporary ID card (NDI 10).
o Canadian Forces or Former member CFOne card (with photo ID).
- Up to a maximum of five (5) family members* travelling on the same trains, dates and in the same classes of service as the passenger in possession of one of the forms of identification listed above may accompany the qualifying member.
- The qualifying member must present specified identification at any time upon request by a VIA employee.
*Family members may include the qualifying member’s spouse/partner (including common law), minor or dependent children (including children for whom the qualifying member is a legal guardian), parents, grand parents, great-grand, parents, grand children or great-grand children.
- The offer is applicable to new bookings made as of November 1, 2010.
- Tickets must be purchased according to the conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional 25% discount is applied.
- The offer is valid for travel commencing as of November 1, 2010.
- The offer is valid on all VIA trains and between all VIA stations in Canada.
- The offer is valid in all classes.
Refunds and exchanges:
- Bookings are subject to the conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional 25% discount is applied.
- Refunds and exchanges for qualifying members' tickets will only be processed if companion tickets issued with it are processed at the same time.
- The offer cannot be combined with any other fare or discount which requires a discount code to qualify. Cannot be combined to Express Deals. Cannot be combined with tickets issued using a rail pass or employee rail pass, group tickets, VIA Préférence reward tickets, charter car fare tickets or tickets issued by a tour operator.
- Tickets must be booked in advance of travel. The offer is not applicable to tickets purchased on board a VIA train.
- Minimum fares after the application of the discount and other conditions may apply.
- Offer is subject to change without notice.