Beginning of the main content.
IMPORTANT: Bike baggage service is currently suspended in the Corridor until further notice, as a result of gradual operations resumption, changes to our services and implemented preventive health measures.
We will not transport items that are poorly packaged or too fragile to withstand normal handling. Nor will we accept items weighing more than 32 kg (70 lb.) or measuring more than 180 cm (6 ft.), except skis and oversized outdoor equipment.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE ON BOARD VIA RAIL TRAINS:
- Martial arts and self-defence items
- Household appliances
- Weapons (of any kind), including firearms and knives
- Camping items
- Explosives and flammable liquids
- Computer monitors with cathode-ray screen
- Small vehicles with lithium batteries are not accepted (gyroskates, AirBoards, electric skateboards, airwheels, mini-Segways, balance wheels, battery-powered bicycles and electric scooters). * Batteries used for motorized wheelchairs or other similar devices for people with reduced mobility are permitted.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AS CHECKED BAGGAGE ON BOARD VIA RAIL TRAINS:
- Cameras and photography equipment (you are free to bring your camera on board with you, but VIA will not be held liable for any damage it may sustain.)
- Dangerous goods (fireworks, flammable items, radioactive materials, etc.)
- Perishable goods transported in polystyrene or any other type of non-hermetic container
- Fragile items (antiques, artwork, etc.)
- Household goods (small appliances, porcelain, clocks, furniture, sewing machines, silverware, etc.)
- Tow bars, trailer hitches, etc.
- Fishing rods without cases
- Liquids (including toiletry items such as perfume, which must always be kept in your carry-on baggage)
- Construction materials (These are not considered personal or oversized baggage, and VIA reserves the right to refuse them at any time. Please contact freight companies serving your area.)
- Office equipment (photocopiers, etc.)
- Electronics (televisions, computers, video games, etc.)
- Valuables (credit cards, stamp or coin collections, precious stones or minerals, irreplaceable papers or manuscripts, jewellery, money, watches, etc.)
- Controlled or illegal substances
- Motorized vehicles, except on trains 185 and 186 (snowmobiles, ATV, personal watercraft, etc.)
- Compressed oxygen cylinders
- Hoverboards, electric skateboards, Airwheels, mini Segways and devices equipped with a stabilizing system are not permitted.
- Perishable goods are not permitted, and we will not be held liable for checked money or negotiable instruments (cheques, bank drafts, money orders, etc.).
- Lobster cooked in a carry on cardboard box packed from the fish market. We can, however, accept cooked lobster as a checked item if it is hermetically sealed on ice in a hard sided cooler. Hermetically sealed means taped in an airtight container to ensure no leakage.
- Funeral urns: since VIA cannot take such responsibility, this item is refused as checked baggage. If a customer wishes to bring an urn, they should bring it on board the train with their hand luggage.
Items transported at the owner’s risk
The following items are transported at your risk. You will be required to sign a waiver releasing VIA Rail from all liability. We suggest checking your personal insurance coverage with your insurer.
- Items intended for another person
- Items intended for sale
- Baby items
- Perishable goods
- Boxes of clothing
- Books, CDs, cassettes or videotapes
- Tools and toolboxes
- Sailboards and masts
- Luggage racks
- Tennis racquets
- Tires We will transport tires placed in bags, but not tires on rims or rims alone.
*Protecting your bicycle
- Bicycles require special protection. We recommend storing your bicycle in a special protective box available at major train stations. Handlebars must be turned around and pedals removed. Be sure to bring whatever tools you’ll need, as they are not provided.
- If you are unable to remove the pedals, we can provide a protective bag to wrap them with.However, if your bike is not placed in a box, VIA Rail assumes no liability for damages.