Beginning of the main content.
VIA Rail assumes no liability for damaged carry on baggage. VIA assumes only limited liability for checked baggage.
Steps to follow for damaged baggage
The passenger must notify VIA Rail as quickly as possible.
At the station
- The passenger must submit a claim for damaged baggage before leaving the station.
- The passenger must report the damage to a VIA Rail agent (at the baggage counter) and fill out the relevant form.
After leaving the station
In the event that the passenger had not noticed that their baggage was damaged while they were at the station, they must report the damage no later than seven days after the date they returned from their trip.
Compensation will be denied if you fail to comply with this requirement. You must abide by the following process:
- We recommend you return to the station with your damaged baggage, your tickets and your baggage tags for VIA to assess the damage.
- Once the damage assessment form has been completed, you may go to a J.P. Grimard workshop to have your baggage repaired.
You can download the “report of loss or damage to baggage” here. It is best to fill it out at the station with the help of a VIA Rail agent:
Once the damaged baggage has been brought to J.P. Grimard within seven days of returning from the trip, the claim must be submitted in writing within 60 days of the date the passenger returned from their trip, and it must include the following:
- The original damage assessment form
- A copy of the electronic ticket
- Several photos of the baggage with the damage
Proof of purchase may be required.
If you have already filled out an incident report at the station and you have a file number, you may bring your baggage to an authorized workshop. The repair person will bill VIA Rail directly.
Addresses of two baggage repair workshops
* You may have your baggage repaired at the workshop of your choice based solely on the assessment carried out by VIA Rail at the station.
* VIA Rail is not liable for damage caused to baggage that is too heavy or not properly packed, nor is it liable for normal wear and tear.
- VIA Rail disclaims all liability for lost or damaged carry on baggage. VIA assumes only limited liability for checked baggage.
- VIA assumes only limited liability for checked baggage. This liability is limited to personal baggage, i.e., clothing, toiletries and any other item that is meant to ensure the comfort and well being of travellers.
- Claims for damaged, lost or stolen baggage must be submitted to a VIA Rail agent on the day you arrive, before you leave the station.
Via is not liable for:
- Damaged items inside baggage that is not visibly damaged on the outside
- Minor scratches, scuffs, marks or dirt that are caused by normal wear and tear despite the care taken when handling
- Damage caused to baggage that is not properly packed
- Stolen items if the suitcase was not locked or if the box was not wrapped or sealed with tape
- Damage caused to a protective case or container
|For lost or damaged||Liability is up to|
|Checked personal baggage||$750 per adult traveller
$375 per child traveller
|Camping equipment, outboard motors, sports equipment, musical instruments and pets||$250 per adult traveller
(Please note that VIA assumes no liability if your bicycle is not placed in a bicycle box.)
|Items left in the station’s baggage room||$25 per item|
|Liability limited to $250 applies to the following items:
The owner must sign a release of liability.
|Items transported at the owner’s risk (no compensation possible)
The owner must sign a release of liability.
- ** Perishable food and liquid must be transported in an airtight container sealed with tape (hard-plastic or metal coolers only; styrofoam coolers are not accepted). These items must be claimed at your arrival (no baggage room service).
- * Make sure your belongings are properly packed and secured. Place your items in their original box or a rigid container to ensure adequate protection. A plastic or paper bag is not enough. You can purchase protective boxes and bags in the main stations.
- If you place your belongings in a box, tie it closed with a string. This will make it easier for handling, as the string can serve as a handle and be used for attaching the baggage tag.
- To ensure the safety of all travellers, we reserve the right to check all baggage.
- Note: Rates and regulations are subject to change without notice.