Beginning of the main content.
As a result of reduced operations, changes to our services and implemented preventive health measures, bike baggage service is currently suspended until further notice.
Verify that your train offers a checked baggage service and accepts the registration of a bike: A checked baggage service may be available, however, some stations may not accept bikes. Before travelling, be sure to confirm that this service is offered by checking the station profiles on your route (https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/stations/list).
- This service is available for clients travelling with VIA only. The passenger must present a confirmation of his ticket at the counter.
- The fees for the transportation of a bicycle are $ 25 plus taxes, per direction. VIA Rail accepts 1 bike per passenger.
- The vast majority of our baggage cars have a bicycle rack that can accommodate up to 12 bicycles. It is possible to check bikes for some intermediate stations where there is a checked baggage service. Please refer to the profile of the station.
- For security reasons, baggage is not allowed on board without its owner. The transport of bicycles is an exception to this regulation. The bicycle must be put on board without any bag or equipment attached.
- On most trains, bicycles are placed on a bicycle rack. On trains that are not equipped with a bicycle rack, a box or a bag will be used to protect the bicycle and the other items in the baggage car.
- A box must be used if the journey includes a transfer.
- Nothing other than the bicycle may go in the box. The owner is required to turn the handlebars and remove the pedals. VIA Rail does not provide tools to dismantle or assemble bicycles.
- VIA Rail assumes no liability in case of damage if the bicycle is not placed on a bicycle rack or in a box, or if other items are also placed in the same box.
- The following trains are equipped with a baggage car but don't have a bicycle rack: The Jasper - Prince Rupert (peak), Winnipeg - Churchill, the Ocean and the Canadian routes continue to offer the option to transport bikes as they are equipped with a baggage car. Note: For the transportation of a bike on board a train without a bicycle rack and equipped with baggage car, the bike will have to be dismantled and boxed or bagged.
- Battery-assisted bikes are not accepted.
Trains equipped with a baggage car
- Baggage cars equipped with a bicycle rack - The vast majority of our baggage cars have a bicycle rack that can accommodate up to 12 bicycles. It is possible to check bikes for intermediate stations where there is a service of checked baggage.
- However, due to operational reasons or change of equipment, a train may not have a rack. If this is the case, the bicycle must be dismantled and boxed or bagged. The customer could also check his bike on the next train with a baggage car.
Tandems and recumbent bicycles - $50 plus taxes, regardless of distance, stopovers allowed.
- Boxes available (2 bicycle boxes) are recommended.
Child carriers (Baby Bicycle Trailers) - $25 each, plus taxes, regardless of distance, stopovers allowed.
- Collapsible bicycle trailer can be placed in suitable box. VIA assumes no liability if the bicycle trailer is not crated or is non-collapsible. Partial release reliability will have to be signed by customer.