Beginning of the main content.
Conditions for group fares
Following are the conditions governing special fares and free tickets available to individuals travelling in your group. Group tickets must be purchased in Economy class.
Number of participants
- The number of travellers in your group must be no less than 10 and all must take the same train from the same point of origin to the same destination.
- If, for any segment of the trip, the group is split into smaller groups numbering less than the 10 travellers required, and the smaller groups take different trains, the travellers will not be eligible for the group fare on that segment of the trip.
- Group members are entitled to pre-boarding privileges.
Advance ticket purchase
- The number of seats a group is authorized to occupy is limited. All group bookings must be approved by VIA Rail.
- Economy class discounts are available for travel on most VIA Rail trains, (except on the Toronto-Vancouver (the Canadian) and Jasper-Prince Rupert train routes in peak season).
Free tickets for group leaders
- Group leaders receive one free ticket for each block of 20 tickets and all must take the same train from the same point of origin to the same destination.
- There is a maximum of four free tickets per group. The leader(s) must travel in the same class as the group – no free tickets will be issued for other classes.
Free tickets are not available for group leaders during peak season on the following trains: Toronto-Vancouver (the Canadian) and Jasper-Prince Rupert.