Skip to next menu item.
Beginning of the main content.
Conditions for travel credits
If you buy your new ticket online: Unfortunately travel credits, at this time, cannot be exchanged online.
If you buy your new ticket by telephone: You may claim your travel credit with the assistance of an agent by calling our toll free number (888 842-7245).
If you buy your new ticket at the station: You may claim your travel credit by providing either your ticket receipt or your confirmation number at any VIA ticket office.
- You may apply your travel credits against train tickets or any other VIA travel product (such as Canrailpass or BizPak), with the exception of on-board train services (such as meals).
- You can apply a maximum of one (1) travel credit per new ticket, and a travel credit can only be applied to a single ticket. If it is applied to a ticket of lesser value, the unused portion of the travel credit will be lost.
- Travel credits apply to tickets purchased with VIA Préférence points, pre-paid tickets, BizPak or VIA 6 pak coupons, or VIA rail passes (Commuter pass, Canrailpass, Corridorpass, etc.).
- If you’ve travelled using Air Miles reward tickets, or if you've purchased your tickets through a Contra Account, you are not eligible for a late train travel credit. Tickets purchased with ticket vouchers or promotional travel credits are also not eligible for late train travel credits.
- VIA is not responsible for any inconvenience caused by the delay of one of its trains or missed transfers with other carriers. Transfers with Acadian and Pacific Coach Lines buses, as well as trans-border journeys on VIA/AMTRAK, are not guaranteed by VIA Rail, even if tickets have been purchased through one of our agents.
- Travel credits are not redeemable in cash, and cannot be exchanged for a reimbursement.
- Travel credits are not transferable.
- Please note that travel credits are valid for a period of 6 months. Your new trip may occur after the validity period of the travel credit has ended, as long as the tickets are purchased within the validity period of the credit.
- As a VIA Préférence member, you may also choose to receive five (5) points for every dollar of credit in lieu of a travel credit. For example, a $100 travel credit will be worth 500 points. To claim points, members must send their original receipt to VIA Préférence and indicate that they are requesting points instead of a travel credit.
- To claim your travel credit for your next trip, go to one of our ticket offices (you may refer to the list of our stations) or a certified travel agent. For more information, call 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired), or contact VIA Préférence at 1 888 VIA-PREF (1 888 842-7733).
Notice: Please note that VIA reserves the right to cancel its late train travel credit policy when faced by major events not under VIA's control.