Beginning of the main content.
Lost or stolen tickets
Refunds and exchanges
Considering the exceptional context created by the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we understand that your travel plans can change. That’s why we now offer flexible booking options. You can cancel your reservation any time before departure.*
Lost or stolen tickets
The moment you notice your tickets have been lost or stolen, call VIA Rail's toll-free number 1 888-VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired). You may also go to the ticket office nearest you.
If you have an e-boarding pass, simply print out another copy of your e-mail.
Lost tickets can be re-issued with no service charge on the departure date by the station’s agent. If you are departing from an unmanned station, you will be able to board the train without a new ticket. You will have to present a photo ID and the Service Manager will manually validate that you are on the manifest.
Lost receipts can be re-issued by a VIA Rail agent at the ticket counter.
Specific conditions about lost or stolen tickets
Note that certain conditions apply for a reservation modification, in particular:
- One way trip: The scheduled departure time has not yet passed and is no later than November 1, 2022.
- Round trip or multi-segment trip: As long as first trip segment’s scheduled departure time has not yet passed and is no later than November 1, 2022 all segments will be refunded, even if additional segments fall after November 1, 2022.
- Your rail ticket is not transferable and is valid only for travel on the train(s) and date(s) shown.
- For any modification or cancellation, please change or cancel your reservation online as soon as possible prior to the scheduled departure of your train (subject to the conditions of your fare plan).
- For operational reasons, VIA Rail reserves the right to restrict platform access five (5) minutes before your scheduled departure.
- Times shown are not guaranteed. If necessary, VIA Rail may cancel a train or substitute alternate transportation without notice.
- To ensure all passengers' safety, VIA Rail reserves the right to inspect all baggage.
- You are responsible at all times for your carry-on baggage. VIA Rail assumes a limited liability for loss or damage to checked baggage. Ask VIA Rail personnel for more details.
- You can change the train, date or class of service.
- If your trip includes one or several connections, you can only change the entire trip and/or all of the return trip
- Changes apply to all passengers included in the booking
- Individual bookings paid with a rail pass such as Student Pass, Youth Pass, Leisure Pass, Business Pass, Canada Pass or Commuter Pass can be changed online
*Our cancellation policy includes all travel through May 31, 2022 as well as any travel after May 31, 2022, if the outbound train is on or before May 31, 2022. If you would like to cancel your trip for a full reimbursement, click here.
Train Alert Service
By subscribing to the VIA Train-Alert service, you will be notified of delays and of any major schedule changes for your VIA train. Alerts are sent by email or SMS (text messaging).