Beginning of the main content.
Do you have a special promotion for 60+ travellers (seniors)?
If you are 60 years of age or older, you'll enjoy a discount all year round on the adult regular fare when you travel in Economy Plus class or any of our sleeper classes.
Do you have discounts for groups?
If you are organizing a trip for 10 or more individuals, you will find train travel doubly rewarding. Group members will delight in the comfort and service for which VIA Rail is known, while you enjoy the benefits of free group leader tickets and attractive discounts!
Get all the details on group fares.
Do Indigenous persons receive discounts?
To take advantage of the 33% Indigenous discount on adult regular fare in all classes (except Prestige class) you must purchase your tickets online at viarail.ca. Click here for more information.
Does VIA offer compassionate fares?
Valid on all VIA trains system-wide. Tickets at bereavement fare will be honored on any day of the week and no blackout periods apply. This fare is valid in Economy and sleeper classes. Not valid in Prestige, Escape, Business or Business Plus.
- Bereavement fares cannot be booked online.
Valid for tickets purchased until January 31, 2023.
- Intended for immediate family members of a deceased who are travelling to/from a funeral. Immediate family members are: the deceased’s spouse or common-law spouse, parents, stepparents, grandparents, great grandparents, children, stepchildren, grandchildren, great grandchildren, brothers, stepbrothers, brothers-in-law, sisters, stepsisters, sisters-in-law; fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, son-in-law, daughters-in-law or spouse of one of the above. Uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces and cousins do not qualify.
The following must be provided:
- Death certificate or funeral notices. (Newspaper clipping)
- Name, phone, address of the funeral home and burial date.
- Name of the deceased and relationship to passenger.
- If the information is not available prior to departure, the passenger must pay the regular fare on the going portion, and for the return present the regular fare ticket receipt with a death certificate or a funeral notice. VIA will then apply the discounts for both legs of the trip and issue a ticket in exchange.
- Alternatively, the customer may be refunded the difference at a station by redeeming the receipt and a proof of death or funeral.
- Travellers requiring the bereavement fare will receive an additional 10% discount on the best available fare at reservation time.
- VIA Rail’s bereavement fare is valid on all trains system-wide, and is subject to all conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional 10% discount is being applied to.
This fare does not apply to delayed interment (people who pass away during the winter and are buried in the spring). The purpose of this fare is to help people who must quickly go to a funeral and cannot take advantage of our discounted fares with advance purchase requirements. If the burial is delayed, they have ample time to buy discounted tickets.
Is there a discount for advance purchases?
Yes, VIA does offer advance purchase discounts. Please note that discounted tickets are sold on a "first come first served" basis and that only a limited number of discounted seats are sold on each train.
Do you offer special fares for conferences and symposiums?
Organizing an event? People attending your convention or symposium may be able to enjoy a discount on the best-available fare in all classes.
You just need to ask!
For more information or to request a discount for people attending your event, simply fill out this form.
Convention attendees: Please contact the event planner to find out if you are eligible for this special fare.
What is the discount offered to children?
Babies and infants under 24 months of age
Babies and infants under 24 months travel free provided that they do not occupy a seat.
If you want your baby to have a seat, you must purchase a child ticket.
Children between the ages of 2 and 11
In Economy class, children between the ages of 2 and 11 always travel at half the fare an adult would pay.
Note that children 7 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult. Important restrictions apply to children between the ages of 8 and 11 who are travelling alone.
Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17
The train is the ideal way to travel to visit friends or grandparents, or to go on vacation with brothers and sisters. And to help the family budget, VIA offers a student discount in Economy class.
To benefit from this discount, simply show proof of age! Although advance purchase is not required, we suggest you always book tickets as early as possible.
No longer a full-time student? You can still save with VIA's youth fare.