Beginning of the main content.
Commuter PassFor daily travellers
FeaturesNumber of Trips
20 travel credits (one-way trips) valid for 30 days. All travel must be completed by June 30, 2022.Class of Service and Fares
Travel in Economy class. You have access to the entire inventory of available seats, no matter the fare.Benefits
Upgrade: Get reserved seating and access to the Business lounge by selecting the EXTRA.
Get rewards: Earn VIA Préférence points for every trip you take.
How does it work?
Commuter Pass fares
- Limited quantity.
- ePass credits issued are non-transferable. Only the passenger named on the ePass may use the credit.
- A valid booking and ticket are required for travel. Standees are not permitted.
- Upon request, the passenger must present ID matching the name printed on the ticket issued with a Commuter ePass.
- Each travel credit is valid for a one-way trip on any VIA Rail train* in Economy class in either direction between the two cities shown on the ePass or points in between.
- ePass credits will only be accepted within the 30-day validity period indicated on the ePass confirmation/receipt. The 20 one-way trip Commuter ePass is valid for a 30-day period, starting on the date determined by the customer at time of purchase. Travel using rail passes purchased on or after January 21, 2022, must be completed by June 30, 2022.
- Passengers not in possession of a valid ticket using an ePass credit as described above will be required to purchase a ticket at the applicable fare on board the train.
- A valid rail ticket issued using the ePass credit is required.
- The Commuter ePass is refundable if it has not expired, if no trips have been made using it, and if no tickets booked with it have been cancelled after the applicable train's scheduled departure. There is a service charge of $50 plus taxes for a refund. Once it has been used, a pass cannot be refunded.
- Earn VIA Préférence points on purchase of this pass (points are calculated on the value of the pass at the time of purchase and not on the individual tickets).
- Log in to your profile, access your original booking, and then make the changes for your desired date, train, and departure time. Please note that you must still select Economy Plus when making changes. If you wish, you may also cancel your original booking online. It is recommended to check that space is available in Economy Plus on your desired train prior to changing your original booking. Any changes or cancellations must be made prior to the departure time of your original booking.
*Unless otherwise specified on your Commuter ePasses.
- Purchasing a Commuter ePass EXTRA gives you access to Business lounges under these conditions:
- The traveller must present his/her boarding pass.
- Applicable in stations where VIA Rail has a Business lounge.
- Access is subject to space availability.
- Additional guests may accompany the Commuter ePass EXTRA holder ($10 service charge per person, payable at the Business lounge; free access for children under the age of 12).
- Children under the age of 12 must always be accompanied by an adult.
Rail passes purchased before January 21, 2022
If you purchased a Commuter Pass before January 21, 2022, please note that the terms and conditions of your pass remain valid.