Beginning of the main content.
Can a child travel alone on the train?
Yes, children between the ages of 8 and 11 can travel alone, but only under certain conditions:
- The child can travel only in Economy or Business class.
- Travel only on direct trains (no connections or transfers), except if an adult can meet the child at the transfer point.
- The child must not leave before 5:25 a.m., and trains must arrive before midnight on the same day.
- An unaccompanied child cannot board or disembark at an unstaffed station.
- The child does not have any life-threatening food allergies, such as an allergy to peanuts or peanuts products.
Note that if the train on which the child is travelling crosses the American border, please obtain information from Amtrak, the railway company for passenger travel in the United States, as well as from the US Customs and Canada Customs.
Read the full conditions for unaccompanied children.
Do I have to buy a ticket for my infant?
Babies and infants under 24 months of age travel free provided that they do not occupy a seat. Only one baby travelling free per adult. If this is your case, please advise VIA once your booking is completed, either by e-mail or by calling VIA at 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245). Please provide your Booking number.
If you want your baby to have a seat, you must purchase a child ticket.