Beginning of the main content.
Canada PassFor adventurous travellers looking to explore Canada
FeaturesNumber of Trips
Choose from 6, 12, or unlimited travel credits (one-way trips).
Select a validity period of 15, 30, or 60 daysClass of Service and Fares
Select the Economy or Escape fare.Benefits
Travel the entire network: Explore Canada from coast to coast.
More flexibility: Choose the number of credits and the validity period that suit your needs.
Upgrade to Sleeper Plus class: Get a 25% discount if you wish to upgrade to a cabin
+ a 40% discount if you wish to upgrade to a berth, on a trip-by-trip basis.
Upgrade to Business and Touring class: Get a 40% discount if you wish to upgrade to Business and Touring class, on a trip-by-trip basis.
How does it work?
Canada Pass fares
Select a validity period of 15, 30 or 60 days as well as the desired first date of travel.NUMBER OF TRIPS:
Six (6), 12 or unlimited credits are available when purchasing.TRAVEL ZONES:
Valid for travel everywhere in Canada throughout the VIA Rail network.CLASS OF SERVICE:
Select the Economy or Escape fare in Economy class.HOW TO PURCHASE:
Bookings may be made online at viarail.ca or through our mobile apps, by phone, or at a VIA Rail station.HOW TO BOOK ONLINE:
- Log in to your file or create one This link open a new tab prior to booking.
- Book your one-way or round-trip ticket for travel within the valid period and zone of your rail pass.
- On the "Passengers Information" screen, select Rail pass as the "Discount Type" and enter the 13-digit serial number of your rail pass in the "Serial Number" field.
- Your trip will be repriced, and the applicable number of credits will be deducted from your rail pass, if your trip meets the conditions of your rail pass.
Upgrades to Business class, Touring class or Berth accommodations are available at 40% off of best available fare. Upgrades to cabins are also offered at 25% off of best available fare. A travel credit will be deducted when upgrading with your pass. Not applicable to Prestige.EXCHANGES:
Travel credits are exchangeable and refundable prior to departure without service charge.HOW TO EXCHANGE AN EXISTING BOOKING:
Login to your profile, access your original booking and then proceed to make the changes for your desired date, train and departure time. Please note that you must still select the appropriate fare family when making changes. You can also cancel online your original booking if you wish. It is recommended that you ensure space in the applicable fare class is available on the desired departure prior to changing your original booking. Any changes or cancellations must be done prior to the departure time of your original booking.
If you have a paper ticket issued by a VIA Rail station, please contact VIA directly at 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) or go to any VIA station to make the changes directly with a VIA agent. Your ticket must be changed prior to the departure time of your original booking.REFUNDS:
The pass is refundable with a $50 service charge if no credit is used, the pass is not expired, and no tickets booked have been cancelled after the chosen train's scheduled departure.TRANSFERS:
Not transferable, only valid for travel by the person whose name is on the issued pass.OTHER STANDARD CONDITIONS:
VIA Rail can limit the quantities sold of these passes.
Use of a rail pass when government-issued photo ID does not match the name of the passenger on the ticket or without valid photo ID may result in the immediate cancellation of the Pass.
Remaining or unused credits at the expiration date of a rail pass are not refundable, non-transferable or exchangeable.
The following practices may result in the immediate cancellation of the Pass:
- Duplicate bookings on the same train or on multiple departures for the same date, or failure to cancel an unused booking prior to train departure.
- Illogical bookings, such as departing from two different places when it would be impossible to travel on all legs of such trips.
- Use of a rail pass when government-issued photo ID does not match name of the passenger on the ticket or without valid photo ID.
Rail passes purchased before July 29, 2019
If you purchased a Canrail Pass before July 29, 2019, please note that the terms and conditions of your pass will remain valid.