Beginning of the main content.
Take your bike on board.
Whether you’re a Sunday biker or a professional cyclist, taking your bike on board with VIA Rail allows you to discover all the culture, history and authenticity of Canada’s cities with a whole new slant. It’s simple: just sit back in one of our comfortable seats, and we’ll take care of getting your bike to your destination.
There is a $25 fee per direction, before taxes, for transporting your bike on a VIA Rail train in a baggage car. Fee payable upon check-in at the baggage counter (or at departure gate if baggage counter is closed).
Bicycles with electric assistance and Tandems are usually heavier than regular bike. A checked baggage surcharge of 25.00$ in addition of the fixed handling charges of 25.00$ will apply, for a total of 50.00$
VIA allows one bicycle per passenger. Passengers wishing to transport their bicycles in a box, will have to buy a box provided by VIA at the station.
Trains equipped with bike racks
- Baggage cars equipped with a bicycle rack - The vast majority of our baggage cars have a bicycle rack that can accommodate up to 12 bicycles. It is possible to check bikes for intermediate stations where there is a service of checked baggage.
- However, due to operational reasons or change of equipment, a train may not have a rack. If this is the case, the bicycle must be dismantled and boxed or bagged. The customer could also check his bike on the next train with a baggage car.
Tandems, electric bicycles and recumbent bicycles - $50 plus taxes, regardless of distance, stopovers allowed.
- Boxes available (2 bicycle boxes) are recommended.
- Collapsible bicycle trailer can be placed in suitable box. VIA assumes no liability if the bicycle trailer is not crated or is non-collapsible. Partial release reliability will have to be signed by customer.
Check-in Time and Location
Please arrive approximately 1 hour prior to departure at station. Passengers with bikes arriving less than 30 minutes prior to departure are not guaranteed to be accommodated.
Check your bicycle at the following location:
- Toronto : Look for the departure track number and wait in the pre-boarding area near the departure gate until the VIA Rail agent advises you to proceed to the elevator with your bike (bikes are not allowed on escalators). Once at track level, baggage handlers will check and load your bike into the baggage car with bike racks.
- Montréal: Check your bicycle at the baggage counter. Baggage handlers will take your bicycle to the train and load it into the baggage car with bike racks.
- Jonquière and Senneterre: Check your bicycle at the departure gate. Baggage handlers will take your bicycle to the train and load it into the baggage car with bike racks.
Note: For its protection, please do not leave any equipment attached to your bike while it is in the bike rack. Bicycle bags must be checked separately.
Retrieving your bicycle
Upon arrival at the station (or at an intermediate station), disembark and go to the baggage car. Baggage handlers will unload your bike and return it to you while on the platform.
Toronto: Upon arrival at Toronto Union Station (or at an intermediate station), disembark and go to the baggage car. Baggage handlers will unload your bike and return it to you while on the platform. In Toronto Union Station, take the elevator to the Great Hall with your bike (bikes are not allowed on escalators).In Toronto it can be either or. If passengers happen to walk by the baggage car, they could retrieve their bike by giving the baggage claim tag to the agent OR they could go directly to the baggage counter and wait for the agent to arrive with their bike.
- Montréal: Upon arrival at Montréal Central Station, baggage handlers will take your bike from the train to the baggage room. Retrieve your bicycle at the baggage counter in the station.