About VIA Rail
Beginning of the main content.
Media familiarization trip assistance
VIA Rail Canada actively seeks out new contributors to experience firsthand Canada by rail, and is pleased to offer qualified media this remarkable opportunity.
Numerous requests are received every year, and each submission is reviewed according to specific guidelines. By completing and submitting the following form and accepting transport on VIA Rail Canada, you agree to these conditions:
- To provide an outline of your story including prominence of exposure for VIA
- To include VIA Rail website viarail.ca or toll free number 1-888-VIA-RAIL
- To send a clipping/copy in PDF or broadcast clip/script format no later than 14 days following publication or broadcast.
We will consider requests for travel assistance for qualified media producing stories for regional, national and international media outlets and look forward to helping in any way we can to make your travel in Canada a memorable experience and a source of story ideas for you.
To ensure a successful application, early notification is important. For travel within VIA's Windsor-Quebec City corridor (short distance travel), a 10 business-day minimum is highly recommended. For transcontinental travel during our peak season particularly May-November, a minimum of 4-6 weeks is required to process a request.
Please note that you will be contacted only if your proposal is accepted, within 10 business days from the date the request was sent.
Some key considerations include:
- Prominence of VIA within the article/story
- Reach of circulation/broadcast audience
- Confirmed publication date/broadcast date
- Fit of geographic location and other demographic factors with VIA's target markets
Please complete the form in full to ensure your request is properly processed.
Please note that fields marked with an asterisk(*) are mandatory.