About VIA Rail
Beginning of the main content.
Fundraising and Sponsorship Requests
Sponsorships and partnerships
Please note that we have updated our policy on VIA Rail sponsorships and partnerships. We also have a new system for handling sponsorship requests that enables us to better manage our portfolio.
Sustainable social and community engagement
At VIA Rail, we’re helping shape the future of mobility. We hope to become a smarter way to move people by making cities and communities more accessible, connected and sustainable. We play an important role in Canada’s socioeconomic development, linking more than 400 communities from coast to coast, providing essential transportation services to rural communities and employing thousands of Canadians throughout the country.
As part of our commercial activities, we partner with the communities we serve in a way that promotes sustainable development and that matters to all Canadians. Therefore, we responsibly support community projects, events, fundraising campaigns and activities that further our social and community engagement and promote our strategic pillars and services.
Since our founding, we have proudly carried on this tradition; leading Canadians toward a more sustainable future, and helping them love the way they travel.
Guidelines and eligibility criteria
Our contribution decisions are made based on specific guidelines. Sponsorships and partnerships are limited to Canadian initiatives. To be eligible for a VIA Rail sponsorship or partnership, the following criteria must be met:
- The organization must be recognized and registered as a charity or non-profit organization and provide a tax number or charitable registration number.
- The organization must request an in-kind contribution in the form of train tickets (VIA Rail does not provide monetary contributions).
- The organization must provide VIA Rail with visibility or other compensation of equal value.
- The proposed initiative must correspond to one of VIA Rail’s partnership pillars, which are:
- Community: Any initiative that helps to build ties and strengthen societal benefits in the many communities we serve.
- Diversity and inclusion: Any initiative related to or organized by a group that promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Sustainable mobility: Any initiative related to an issue or situation that pertains to or promotes sustainable mobility or smarter ways to move.
- Innovation: Any initiative that is distinguished by its unique vision, involves forward-thinking subjects or proposes cutting-edge technologies.
- Youth: Any initiative that encourages young Canadians to explore their country and provides them with opportunities for learning, social involvement and civic responsibility while supporting their projects and leadership.
- Canadian Heritage: Any initiative that helps enrich our passengers’ knowledge of Canada and its culture and history.
- Organizations or projects that do not meet the previous criteria.
- Fundraising activities for elementary or secondary schools.
- Trips for amateur athletes or sports teams.
Response time and process
Applications must be submitted at least 90 calendar days before the event in question. We agree to respond at least 45 calendar days before the event with our assessment of your application.We receive a lot of requests, and respond to all of them. We therefore ask that you please refrain from trying to follow up on your application.
You will be able to choose between “Fundraising activity” (raffle prize, silent auction prize or donation) and “Major sponsorship” (if for example, your event draws a large audience and offers a revenue opportunity for VIA Rail).
Once your request has been submitted, you will not be able to change it. Make sure to follow all the steps in the form before clicking on “Submit.” You will be sent an acknowledgement of receipt with a reference number.
VIA Rail takes an interest in the projects it supports. We will ask you to provide us with a summary of your event after it is over.
VIA Rail reserves the right to decline any sponsorship or partnership request.
Applications must be submitted at least 90 calendar days before the event in question.