Does VIA offer student discounts?
Students, you no longer need an ISIC card, and you get the same great savings as ever!
To benefit, just present an identity card with your photo and date of birth to a VIA Rail employee upon request. But please note that the ISIC card will be accepted for those aged 26 and over (until your 6 pak credits expire or are used).
There is no advance purchase requirement and there are no service charges!
This discount is available for all trains and all destinations all year round wherever VIA tickets are sold.
If you frequently travel between the same two stations, check out the VIA 6 pak. You could save big on the purchase of three round trips on the same route.
Do you have a special promotion for 60+ travellers (seniors)?
If you are 60 years of age or older, you'll enjoy a discount all year round on the adult regular fare when you travel in Economy class or any of our sleeper classes.
Do you have discounts for groups?
If you are organizing a trip for 10 or more individuals, you will find train travel doubly rewarding. Group members will delight in the comfort and service for which VIA Rail is known, while you enjoy the benefits of free group leader tickets and attractive discounts!
Get all the details on group fares.
Do members of the First Nations and Aboriginals receive discounts?
Members of the First Nations can take advantage of the 33% Aboriginal discount (ABO) on the adult regular fare, by purchasing tickets online at viarail.ca.
- Log in with your profile.
On the "Passengers information" page, for each qualifying passenger:
- Select Other Special discounts as the "Discount Type".
- Enter code ABO in the "Discount code" box. No serial number is required.
- Your total fare will be recalculated after you enter your payment information.
- At ticket issuance or upon request on board the train, please present a valid document attesting to your Aboriginal status.
Here are the taxation rules applicable to First Nations:
- GST applies on transportation services, unless both the origin and destination are on a reservation. This is not the case with VIA Rail. Note: Some Aboriginal statuses may be eligible for a GST exemption. This option is NOT available when booking online. Eligible passengers wishing to take advantage of the exemption must book directly with a VIA agent or with a travel agent and pick up their tickets directly from a train station.
- QST applies on all taxable services provided off the reservation.
The Government of Ontario announced that since September 1, 2010, First Nation card holders are exempt from the provincial part of the HST for eligible off-reserve purchases only. Passenger transportation is not part of the eligible purchases. First Nation card holders must therefore pay the HST.
Does VIA offer compassionate fares?
Valid on all VIA trains system-wide. Tickets at bereavement fare will be honoured on any day of the week and no blackout periods apply. This fare is valid in Economy, Business and all sleeper classes.
- Bereavement fares cannot be booked online.
- Intended for immediate family members of a deceased who are travelling to/from a funeral. Immediate family members are: the deceased’s spouse or common-law spouse, parents, stepparents, grandparents, great grandparents, children, stepchildren, grandchildren, great grandchildren, brothers, stepbrothers, brother-in-laws, sisters, stepsisters, sister-in-laws; father-in-laws, mother-in-laws, son-in-laws, daughter-in-laws or spouse of one of the above. Uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces and cousins do not qualify.
The following must be provided:
- Death certificate or funeral notices. (Newspaper clipping)
- Name, phone, address of the funeral home and burial date.
- Name of the deceased and relationship to passenger.
- If the information is not available prior to departure, the passenger must pay the regular fare on the going portion, and for the return present the regular fare ticket receipt with a death certificate or a funeral notice. VIA will then apply the discounts for both legs of the trip and issue a ticket in exchange.
- Alternatively, the customer may be refunded the difference at a station by redeeming the receipt and a proof of death or funeral.
- Travellers requiring the bereavement fare will receive an additional 10% discount on the best available fare at reservation time.
- VIA Rail’s bereavement fare is valid on all trains system-wide, and is subject to all conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional 10% discount is being applied to.
This fare does not apply to delayed interment (people who pass away during the winter and are buried in the spring). The purpose of this fare is to help people who must quickly go to a funeral and cannot take advantage of our discounted fares with advance purchase requirements. If the burial is delayed, they have ample time to buy discounted tickets.
Is there a discount for advance purchases?
Yes, VIA does offer advance purchase discounts. Please note that discounted tickets are sold on a "first come first served" basis and that only a limited number of discounted seats are sold on each train.
Do you offer special fares for conferences and symposiums?
Organizing an event? People attending your convention or symposium may be able to enjoy a discount on the best-available fare in all classes.
You just need to ask!
For more information or to request a discount for people attending your event, simply fill out this form.
Convention attendees: Please contact the event planner to find out if you are eligible for this special fare.
What is the discount offered to children?
Babies and infants under 24 months of age
Babies and infants under 24 months travel free provided that they do not occupy a seat.
If you want your baby to have a seat, you must purchase a child ticket.
Children between the ages of 2 and 11
In Economy class, children between the ages of 2 and 11 always travel at half the fare an adult would pay. In Business class or in any of our sleeper classes, children's tickets are also discounted.
Note that children 7 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult. Important restrictions apply to children between the ages of 8 and 11 who are travelling alone.
Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17
The train is the ideal way to travel to visit friends or grandparents, or to go on vacation with brothers and sisters. And to help the family budget, VIA offers a student discount in Economy class.
To benefit from this discount, simply show proof of age! Although advance purchase is not required, we suggest you always book tickets as early as possible.
No longer a full-time student? You can still save with VIA's youth fare.