Take your bike on board.
Whether you’re a Sunday biker or a professional cyclist, taking your bike on board with VIA Rail allows you to discover all the culture, history and authenticity of Canada’s cities with a whole new slant. It’s simple: just sit back in one of our comfortable seats, and we’ll take care of getting your bike to your destination.
There is a $25 fee per direction, before taxes, for transporting your bike on a VIA Rail train. Fee payable upon check-in at the baggage counter (or at departure gate if baggage counter is closed).
Bicycles with electric assistance and Tandems are usually heavier than regular bike. A checked baggage surcharge of 25.00$ in addtion of the fixed handling charges of 25.00$ will apply, for a total of 50.00$
Schedules of trains equipped with bike racks
The following trains are equipped with bicycle racks that can accommodate up to 12 bicycles. It is possible to check bikes for intermediate stations where there is a service of checked baggage. This service is now available and offered any time.
The vast majority of our baggage cars have a bicycle rack. However, due to operational reasons or change of equipment, a train may not have a rack (if this is the case, the bicycle must be dismantled and boxed or bagged) or the train may NOT be equipped with a baggage car.
|Train||Route||In service on the following days|
|20||Montréal - Québec||Mon. to Fri.|
|24||Montréal - Québec||Mon. to Sun.|
|26||Ottawa - Québec||Sat. only|
|29||Québec - Montréal||Mon. to Sun.|
|32||Fallowfield (Ottawa) - Montréal||Mon. to Fri.|
|37||Québec - Fallowfield (Ottawa)||Mon. to Fri.|
|63||Montréal - Toronto||Mon. to Sun.|
|64||Toronto - Montréal||Mon. - Sun.|
|65||Montréal - Toronto||Mon. Thurs. Sat.|
|68||Toronto - Montréal||Tues. Fri. Sun.|
|70||Windsor - Toronto||Tues. Fri. Sat.|
|75||Toronto - Windsor||
Mon. Thurs. Fri.
*Sun.(*Baggage car available up to London only)
|80||London - Toronto||Sun.|
|81||Toronto - London||Sat.|
|82||London - Toronto||Mon. to Fri.|
|83||Toronto - London||Mon. to Thurs.|
|637||Québec - Ottawa||Sun.|
|14||Montréal - Halifax||Wed. Fri. Sun.|
|15||Halifax - Montréal||Wed. Fri. Sun.|
|5||Jasper - Prince Rupert||Wed. Fri. Sun.|
|6||Prince Rupert - Jasper||Wed. Fri. Sun.|
|600||Jonquière - Montréal||Tues. Thurs.|
|601||Montréal - Jonquière||Mon. Wed.|
|602||Jonquière - Montréal||Sun.|
|603||Montréal - Senneterre||Mon. Wed.|
|604||Senneterre - Montréal||Tues. Thurs.|
|605||Jonquière - Montréal||Fri.|
|606||Senneterre - La Tuque - Montréal||Sun.|
|607||Senneterre - La Tuque - Montréal||Fri.|
|692||Churchill - Winnipeg||Thurs. Sat.|
|693||Winnipeg - Churchill||Tues. Sun.|
|690||Churchill - The Pas||Tues.|
|691||The Pas - Churchill||Fri.|
|185||Sudbury - White River||Tues. Thurs. Sat.|
|186||White River - Sudbury||Wed. Fri. Sun.|
The Jasper - Prince Rupert, Winnipeg - Churchill, the Ocean and the Canadian routes continue to offer the option to transport bikes as they are equiped with a baggage car.
Note: For the transportation of your bike on board a train other than those listed above and equipped with baggage cars, your bike will have to be dismantled and boxed or bagged.
Check-in Time and Location
Please arrive approximately 1 hour prior to departure at station. Passengers with bikes arriving less than 30 minutes prior to departure are not guaranteed to be accommodated.
Check your bicycle at the following location:
- Toronto : Look for the departure track number and wait in the pre-boarding area near the departure gate until the VIA Rail agent advises you to proceed to the elevator with your bike (bikes are not allowed on escalators). Once at track level, baggage handlers will check and load your bike into the baggage car with bike racks.
- Montréal: Check your bicycle at the baggage counter. Baggage handlers will take your bicycle to the train and load it into the baggage car with bike racks.
- Jonquière and Senneterre: Check your bicycle at the departure gate. Baggage handlers will take your bicycle to the train and load it into the baggage car with bike racks.
Note: For its protection, please do not leave any equipment attached to your bike while it is in the bike rack. Bicycle bags must be checked separately.
Retrieving your bicycle
Upon arrival at the station (or at an intermediate station), disembark and go to the baggage car. Baggage handlers will unload your bike and return it to you while on the platform.
- Toronto: Upon arrival at Toronto Union Station (or at an intermediate station), disembark and go to the baggage car. Baggage handlers will unload your bike and return it to you while on the platform. In Toronto Union Station, take the elevator to the Great Hall with your bike (bikes are not allowed on escalators).
- Montréal: Upon arrival at Montréal Central Station, baggage handlers will take your bike from the train to the baggage room. Retrieve your bicycle at the baggage counter in the station.